Arizona State Medicaid Advisory Committee (SMAC)
The State Medicaid Advisory Committee (SMAC) reviews and advises the Medicaid agency on the operations, programs, and planning for Arizona's Medicaid program.
Mission and Purpose
The SMAC advises the Director of AHCCCS on policy, operations and administrative issues of the Medicaid program, including issues of concern to the community.
The SMAC operates in accordance with 42 CFR 431.12 (Code of Federal Regulations) and the State Medicaid Plan.
The bylaws for the SMAC were created in September 1992 and are reviewed annually, or on an as needed basis.
State Medicaid Advisory Committee (SMAC) Members
The State Medicaid Advisory Committee (SMAC) is a 20-member committee that includes:
- Nine members of the public
- Eight health care providers or professionals
- Three ex-officio members (AHCCCS, DHS, DES Directors, or their designees)
Members are appointed for a two-year term and may serve three consecutive terms. After serving three consecutive terms members must wait 24 months before re-applying for a committee position.
- Public Members
- Phil Pangrazio, CEO, Ability 360
- Dr. Leonard Kirschner, Board Member, Arizona Perinatal Trust
- Steve Jennings, Associate State Director, AARP
- Daniel Haley, Chief Executive Officer, H.O.P.E.
- Marcus Johnson, Director of State Health Policy and Advocacy, Vitalyst
- Siman Qaasim, President/CEO, Children's Action Alliance
- Vince Torres, Sr. Director, First Things First
- Provider/Professional Members
- Tara McCollum Plese, Director of Government & Media Relations, AZ Associations of Community Health Center
- Peggy Stemmler, M.D., Pediatrician and Consultant, Arizona Academy of Pediatrics and Stemmler and Associates
- Gina Judy, COO, Easterseals
- John Hogeboom, CEO/President, Community Bridges, Inc.
- Greg Ensell, VP, AZ Hospital and Healthcare Association
- David Voepel, CEO, AHCA
- Elizabeth McKenna, M.D., Co-Owner, Healing Hearts Pediatrics
- Arjelia "Argie" Gomez, CEO, Open Hearts Family Wellness
- Ex-Officio Members
- Jami Snyder, Director, AHCCCS Administration
- Virginia Rountree, Interim Director, DES, AZ Dept. of Economic Security
- Cara Christ, Director, AZ Dept. of Health Services
SMAC is currently accepting nominations for the following open positions to serve Oct. 2020 through Sept. 2022.
- Five public member positions (e.g. a Medicaid recipient, a consumer advocate, a representative of a tribal community, or a representative of the educational community, etc.)
- Two professional member positions (e.g. health care providers or professionals with a direct interest in the AHCCCS program)
If you would like to serve or nominate someone to serve on the SMAC, please fill out the nomination form below and send it to DCAIRCommunityAffairs@azahcccs.gov.
Nominations for the October 2020 assignments are due by September 18, 2020 however, AHCCCS accepts nominations throughout the year.
For additional information on membership please contact Brenda Morris at 602-417-4029 or by email at Brenda.Morris@azahcccs.gov.
The State Medicaid Advisory Committee (SMAC) meets quarterly, chaired by the AHCCCS Director. SMAC meetings are open to the public and include a public comment period at the end of the agenda. For the duration of the COVID-19 public health emergency, all SMAC meetings will be held via webinar/telephone. Presentations and/or meeting materials are available in PDF format and posted by meeting date below.
AHCCCS Document Archive
If you are looking for previous summaries, please visit the AHCCCS Document Archive.