Arizona State Medicaid Advisory Committee (SMAC)
The State Medicaid Advisory Committee (SMAC) reviews and advises the Medicaid agency on the operations, programs, and planning for Arizona's Medicaid program.
Mission and Purpose
The SMAC advises the Director of AHCCCS on policy, operations and administrative issues of the Medicaid program, including issues of concern to the community.
The SMAC operates in accordance with 42 CFR 431.12 (Code of Federal Regulations) and the Medicaid State Plan.
The bylaws for the SMAC were created in September 1992 and are reviewed annually, or on an as needed basis.
State Medicaid Advisory Committee (SMAC) Members
The SMAC shall include the AHCCCS Director or designee, the Director of the Arizona Department ofHealth Services (ADHS) or a designee, and the Director of the Department of Economic Security (DES) or a designee.
The remaining authorized members shall be no less than seventeen (17), as follows:
Health care providers or professionals with a direct interest in the AHCCCS program;
Members of the public, (e.g. a Medicaid recipient, a consumer advocate, a representative of a tribal community, or a representative of the educational community, etc
Members are appointed for a two-year term and may serve three consecutive terms. After serving three consecutive terms members must wait 24 months before re-applying for a committee position.
- Public Members
- Daniel Haley, Chief Executive Officer, H.O.P.E.
- Matt Jewett, Director of Health Policy, Children's Action Alliance
- Kavita Bernstein, Senior Director of Strategy & Innovation, Candelen
- Vince Torres, Associate Director for Customer & Community Success, Unite Us
- Dina Norwood, Managing Attorney, Community Legal Services
- Jill Anne Castle, Professor/Advocate/Consultant, Arizona State University
- Diana “Dede” Yazzie Devine, Community Member/Advocate
- Melissa Kotrys, CEO, Contexture
- Greg Corns, Community Member/Advocate
- Serena Unrein, Community Member/Advocate
- Provider/Professional Members
- Katherine Andersen, Director of Health Information Management and Medical Staff; Privacy Officer, San Carlos Apache Healthcare Corporation
- John Hogeboom, CEO/President, Community Bridges, Inc.
- Debbie Johnston, Executive Vice President , AZ Hospital and Healthcare Association
- David Voepel, CEO, AZ Healthcare Association
- Elizabeth McKenna, M.D., Co-Owner, Healing Hearts Pediatrics
- Karen Resseguie, Behavioral Health Administrator, Foundation for Senior Living
- Dr. Jessica B. Peterkin, Dentist & Founder/CEO, Ministry of Dentistry, Inc
- Vicki Staples, Director of OP Behavioral Health, Valleywise Health
- Brittney Kaufmann, Chief Executive Officer, Health System Alliance of Arizona
- Mary Jo Whitfield, VP of Integrated Health, Jewish Family and Children's Services
- Ex-Officio Members
- Carmen Heredia, Director, AHCCCS Administration
- Virginia Rountree, Deputy Director of Community Services and Managed Care, AZ Dept. of Economic Security
- Sheila Sjolander, Assistant Director of the Division of Public Health Prevention Services, AZ Dept. of Health Services
SMAC is always accepting nominations to serve. Committee member voting sessions take place annually during the October quarterly meeting as stated in the SMAC bylaws.
- Public member positions (e.g. a Medicaid recipient, a consumer advocate, a representative of a tribal community, or a representative of the educational community, etc.)
- Professional member positions (e.g. health care providers or professionals with a direct interest in the AHCCCS program)
If you would like to serve or nominate someone to serve on the SMAC, please fill out the nomination form below and send it to DCAIRCommunityAffairs@azahcccs.gov.
The State Medicaid Advisory Committee (SMAC) meets quarterly, chaired by the AHCCCS Director. SMAC meetings are open to the public and include a public comment period at the end of the agenda. For the duration of the COVID-19 public health emergency, all SMAC meetings will be held via webinar/telephone. Presentations and/or meeting materials are available in PDF format and posted by meeting date below. Please also see below for all historical meeting materials, under the "Archived SMAC Meeting Materials" drop down.
AHCCCS Document Archive
If you are looking for previous summaries, please visit the AHCCCS Document Archive.